A blog about knitting, sewing, baking and other crafts and things I like to make and do.

Sunday 13 November 2011

Creative slump and a little excitement

I haven't posted much  of late. Mainly because I've not really been making anything. I've been hit with  the winter blues and  found myself in a bit of a creative slump. Even though I love making stuff, and I know that getting stuck in a good craft project will cheer me right up, I just can't motivate myself to start. I feel like I'm through the worst of it now though. Gradually my brain and body are starting to adjust to the short days and my energy levels and creeping back up.

But while I have not been making anything, I thought I'd share what some of the children I teach have been making. This is a new project I have been developing this term - a simple felt pencil case with an applique design and an LED which turns on when the snap fastener is fastened.
Aren't they delicious!?





 It's a year 8 project and the first time any of them have done any electronics - and for some of them the first time they have done any hand sewing. It's a simple circuit using a battery, a cell holder, snap fasteners and *drum roll* CONDUCTIVE THREAD! It's the first time I've used conductive thread - you literally sew in the circuit - and it's getting me so excited about electronic textiles and what to do next.


Planning on doing some felt making with my year 9 class this week. Will let you know how it turns out.

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea! It would be suitable for Brownies/Guides/Cubs too.

    ReplyDelete